Please turn your device to landscape mode
How to be admitted as a Legal PractitionerThe prerequisites for admission to practice as a legal practitioner in Namibia are detailed in the provisions of the Legal Practitioners Act, 15 of 1995, as amended. A candidate desirous of admission must satisfy the High Court on application that he or she is:
- a fit and proper person to be admitted;
- duly qualified; and
- a Namibian citizen, a permanent resident, ordinary resident or a holder of an employment permit for the purpose of employment by Government.
A candidate is regarded as being duly qualified is he or she:
- was conferred a degree in law from the University of Namibia or an equivalent qualification in law from another recognized university; and
- has been issued with a certificate from the Board for Legal Education confirming that he or she has
1. satisfactorily undergone practical training; and
2. passed the Legal Practitioners’ Qualifying Examination.
In regard to the latter requirements of having passed the LPQE and the requirement of practical legal training, the Act prescribes that a candidate must, subject to limited exceptions, attend a one-year prescribed postgraduate studies offered at the Justice Training Centre of the Faculty of Law at the University of Namibia’s Windhoek campus (www.unam.na). The postgraduate studies culminate in the LPQE. In addition the candidate must be attached to a legal practitioner for the purpose of practical legal training for the full period of postgraduate studies, or if he or she has previously passed the LPQE, for a period not less than six months.
In terms of the Act it is a criminal offence for any person other than an admitted legal practitioner to practice or in any manner hold him /her out as or pretend to be a legal practitioner.
Go to top of page
23 December 2016JUDGE JP KARUAIHE (JPK) TRUST: LEGAL EXCELLENCE AWARDS
23 December 2016LSN COUNCIL 2016 - 2017
23 December 2016International Institute of Law Association Chief Executives 2016 conference
08 April 2016Vacancy Manager: Finance & Human Resources
08 April 2016CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST