Please turn your device to landscape mode
VACANCIES: RISK & COMPLIANCE – INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT(S)The LSN intends to appoint Consultant(s) from Windhoek, Walvis Bay, Swakopmund, Mariental, Oshakati, Ondangwa, Otjiwarongo, Tsumeb to conduct trust account compliance inspections / audits at law firms who are participating in the RASS / Risk & Compliance programme of the Law Society of Namibia.
The Law Society of Namibia (LSN) is a self-regulating body. It was created in terms of the Legal Practitioners’ Act (1995), which serves the profession and the public, by promoting justice, protecting the independence of the judiciary and upholding the Rule of Law. The Legal Practitioners’ Fidelity Fund is regulated by the Legal Practitioners’ Act, Act 15 of 1995.
The protection of trust monies held by practitioners in private practice forms an integral part of the protection of the integrity of the legal profession. The Law Society plays a pivotal role in protecting such public funds by assisting firms in complying with the rules and regulations regarding the keeping of trust monies, by providing services to address risk management and by conducting regular inspections to ensure that firms do comply.
The Law Society of Namibia seeks to appoint a Consultant for a limited period to, inter alia, assist in:
- finalising closing down, outstanding and pending trust account compliance audits / inspections in terms of adopted standards and methodologies and strict timelines;
- preparing written inspection reports on potential and imminent risks, lack of internal controls and procedures at the firms and non compliance with the Legal Practitioners Act (15 of 1995), the Rules of the Law Society and any other legislation that impacts on the legal profession, i.e. Financial Intelligence Act, Competition legislation and the Usury Act;
- discussing the reports with the legal practitioners and obtain their written explanations on non-compliance / qualifications;
- ensuring submission of the abovementioned detailed inspection reports and responses, in respect of audits / reviews / inspections, to the Law Society Director and Council;
- processing audit refunds.
- assisting with Curator Bonis Agent functions, if necessary.
The Consultant must:
- Have a B.Comm (Accounting) / B.Comm (Law) degree or equivalent qualification with a minimum of 5-years bookkeeping, auditing and compliance management experience.
- Be fully computer literate – (with specific knowledge of Legal Suite / other law bookkeeping programmes / Pastel).
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Be a Namibian citizen.
- Have own vehicle / laptop / other necessary resources.
- Be available for the period 15 May 2019 to 30 June 2019.
Interested individuals should address their application and CV to:
The Law Society of Namibia
1st Floor, Namlex Chambers
333 Independence Avenue Windhoek
The application should specifically state the applicant’s hourly and daily rates.
Only suitably qualified applicants will be considered for shortlisting.
Closing Date: Friday, 10 May 2019
Go to top of page
29 April 2019VACANCIES: RISK & COMPLIANCE – INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT(S)
13 February 2019Director LSN elected President of the International Institute of Law Association Chief Executives (IILACE)
12 December 2018LSN COUNCIL 2018 - 2019
11 December 2018JUDGE JP KARUAIHE (JPK) TRUST: LEGAL EXCELLENCE AWARDS
17 July 20182018 FREE LEGAL ADVICE DAYS (FLAD): FRIDAY, 15 JUNE 2018 - ONGWEDIVA