Please turn your device to landscape mode
VACANCY - ADVERTISEMENT LEGAL OFFICERThe Law Society of Namibia (LSN) is a self-regulating body created in terms of the Legal Practitioners’ Act (1995), which serves the profession and the public by promoting justice, protecting the independence of the judiciary and upholding the Rule of Law.
The Law Society of Namibia also represents the interest of its members who all took an oath to uphold the Namibian Constitution, which protects the Rule of Law and Human Rights.
It is tasked with maintaining and enhancing the standards of conduct and integrity of all members of the legal profession; encouraging and promoting efficiency and responsibility in the legal profession; defining and enforcing correct and uniform practice and maintaining discipline among members of the legal profession.
The Law Society of Namibia plays a pivotal role in protecting monies entrusted to legal practitioners in private practice by members of the public and it further ensures compliance with the rules and regulations regarding trust monies.
This position supports the Director and the Manager: Professional Affairs in achieving, inter alia, the primary management of internal and external relationships in various segments, such as continuing professional development, management of committees and facilitation of complaints against legal practitioners; corporate governance; supporting the strategic and operational objectives of the LSN; and ensuring statutory and policy compliance.
Reporting to the Director and/or the Manager Professional Affairs, the position is responsible, inter alia, for supporting the Director and Manager Professional Affairs by assisting with:
- The primary management of internal and external relationships in various segments, corporate governance and supporting the strategic and operational objectives of the LSN.
- Ensuring the efficient delivery of administrative and secretarial support to the LSN Council, President, Director, Manager Professional Affairs and various Committees.
- Ensuring that well researched recommendations be made available to Council and/or committees and/or to stakeholders.
- Using internal and external resources and research to provide legal and technical support to the LSN Director, Manager Professional Affairs, Council and Committees.
- Compiling agendas and minutes on meetings.
- Co-ordinating all meetings of the LSN Council, Directorate, committees and stakeholders.
- Ensuring that the Legal Practitioners Act, Act 15 of 1995, is adhered to.
- Ensuring that the Rules of the Law Society of Namibia are adhered to.
- Ensuring compliance with the strategic vision and mission of the LSN and with Corporate Governance principles.
- Providing technical and legal support to the Director.
- Assisting with compiling circulars, newsletter, press releases and advertisements.
- Updating the LSN website with newsletters, press releases, advertisements, training videos and information relevant to the members as well as the public and managing the website changes.
- Updating the LSN database with member information to ensure smooth communication via inter alia, e-mail, text message, website.
- Assisting with LSN Council and Directorate projects.
- Assisting with research and with funding proposals.
- Assisting with managing and facilitating complaints against non-legal practitioners.
- Assisting with the arrangements and organisation, securing sponsorships of the AGM and events linked to the AGM.
- Assisting with the implementation and management of the LSN Council Policies and proper record keeping of such policies and minutes.
- Assisting to coordinate international, local and regional representation of Councillors, Director, LSN officials.
Assistance to the Manager Professional Affairs will, inter alia, include the following:
- Assisting with arranging, implementing and managing Continuing Professional Development, Free Legal Advice Days and other public legal education initiatives and programmes.
- Assisting with the arrangements and organisation of circle meeting with legal practitioners in the regions.
- Assisting with administering and facilitating complaints against legal practitioners.
- Assisting with arranging all meetings of the standing and ad hoc committees of the LSN.
- Assisting with the day-to-day administration of the Professional Affairs Unit.
- Assisting with building relationships on national and regional level.
- Assisting with implementing decisions, policies and instructions as resolved by Council.
- Assisting with liaising with role players/members via regular e-mails and newsletters.
- Assisting with related administrative duties in support of the work of the LSN Directorate in general.
- Providing technical and legal support to the Manager Professional Affairs.
- Assisting, co-ordinating and organising functions, continuing professional development and public legal education and other events.
- The applicant must be an admitted Legal Practitioner of the High Court of Namibia.
- Private practice experience would be an advantage.
- Namibian citizenship.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), report-writing and minuting skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the Legal Practitioners Act and the Rules of the Law Society.
- Fully computer literate.
- Excellent organisation and planning skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Protocols, Policies and Procedures including Parliament decisions and processes would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of legislation, regulations, Acts, agreements, policies, associated schedules and procedures relating to the legal profession in Namibia, common sense and common knowledge of the law.
- Able to adhere and meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks independently.
The position applied for must be clearly stated and the application should be addressed to:
The Law Society of Namibia
1st Floor, Namlex Chambers
333 Independence Avenue
- Only suitably qualified applicants will be considered for shortlisting.
- No documents will be kept or returned.
- All applications will be dealt with in confidence.
- The LSN reserves the right to confirm and verify all information submitted.
- The LSN reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Closing Date: Monday, 19 March 2018
Go to top of page
24 April 2018Invitation for pre-qualification of suppliers
17 April 20182018: LSN FREE LEGAL ADVICE DAY AND SOUTH CIRCLE MEETING REHOBOTH
10 April 2018PRESS RELEASE - LSN response to statements made against legal practitioners by Trustco Group Holdings
10 April 2018LAUNCH – COMMEMORATIVE BOOK
02 March 2018FREE LEGAL ADVICE DAYS (FLAD): 2018: FRIDAY, 9 FEBRUARY 2018 -OTJIWARONGO